In honor of September being Childhood Cancer Awareness month, Vermilion Volleyball will be hosting the first official “Chimmy Challenge” game. The Chimmy Challenge was created by Camryn Colahan to bring awareness and raise money for pediatric cancer research. 100% of the money raised goes to funding critical research needed to develop new treatments for pediatric cancer like Cam’s.
Who: Vermilion Sailors vs Perkins Pirates
When: Tuesday, September 10
Where: Vermilion High School Gym
When: Freshman play at 4:30 pm, JV at 5:30pm, Varsity at 7 pm
T-shirts will be available for purchase at the match for $10. There will also be bake sale items, basket raffles, and a 50/50 raffle.
Facts about Pediatric Cancer:
– Only 4% of cancer research funds from the government go toward pediatric cancers.
– This year in the US, there will be 16,000 children diagnosed with a form of cancer. That means 1 in 285 children under 20 are at risk for developing cancer.
– Worldwide, there are 700 new children daily affected by pediatric cancer.
– Cancer is the leading cause of death by disease among children.
– Even those children that are cured of cancer have 2x the likelihood of suffering from chronic health conditions due to long lasting effects of their therapy.